One of the larger arterials for commutes in the Cedar Rapids metro area is Mt. Vernon Road SE. That road springs off of the intersection of 8th Avenue and 10th Street SE and runs east out to...Mount Vernon, hence the name.
The City of Cedar Rapids just said that beginning 6-23-22, eastbound Mt. Vernon Road will be down to one lane between 15th and 19th Streets through at least 6-27-22. A couple of things:
- It's a two-lane heading up the hill next to Oakhill Cemetery with a divider between the two-way traffic, so you'll be crammed into one lane in a really, really crappy place, because...
- There's an obstructed intersection on the southern corner of 15th street, blocked by a GINORMOUS power pole, plus, there's the fact that...
- PEOPLE DRIVE LIKE CRAP! And on that road, it's worse. Heading into that stretch, you're supposed to be traveling at 30mph, increasing to 35 once you hit Mt. Vernon Road. But, people drive like idiots and will be driving 40mph on 8th Avenue in front of Mercy Medical Center, and even increase to 50mph+ as you hit the Mt. Vernon Road hill
Look. You know better. Here are my top 13 suggestions for better commuting:
- Stop driving like an idiot
- If you can't, park your car
- Not every lane is yours, and you are not entitled to all of them, as there are other people on the road
- Drive the speed limit
- Be kind to other drivers while driving defensively
- Use your turn signal properly
- Give plenty of time before the turn, rather than hitting it AS YOU TURN
- Get off your phone
- Stop paying so much attention to your friend in the car with you
- DON'T use the center turn lane as an entrance ramp
- Prepare for your next move early rather than cross three lanes to the exit at the last second
- That incredibly large vehicle next to you? It can kill you. Respect it
- The small vehicle next to you? You can kill it. Respect it
- Don't honk because someone didn't move within a second of the green light
- Don't tailgate
Hey, thanks for reading, and please pass this along to the person you know who drives like they should have their license taken away.