IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa men's tennis team was edged, 4-3 to No. 48 Indiana Friday evening at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. The match started with the Hawkeyes capturing the doubles point for the 19th time this year. Jonas Larsen/Kareem Allaf made quick work of their opponent, downing Indiana’s No. 1 doubles team, 6-2. Will Davies and Piotr Smietana continued their winning ways with a 6-3 triumph over the Hoosiers’ No. 2 squad. The freshmen duo have won 15 of their last 19 decisions.
In singles action, Indiana won in straight sets on courts two, three, and six to take a 3-1 advantage. Midway through singles competition inclement weather forced the match inside.
Josh Silverstein, Allaf, and Davies pushed their matches to a third a deciding set. Allaf won his match over Indiana’s Bennett Crane to cut the Hoosier lead to 3-2. Allaf’s victory Hawkeyes on court four to 19-5 this season. Silverstein rallied to win in three sets over No. 116 Raheel Manji, 6-7(1), 6-3, 6-4, to notch first ranked win of the season. Seconds later Davies fell in a third set tiebreak, 7-4. That loss snapped Davies five-match win streak.
Tonight marked the Hawkeyes’ fifth loss of the season to a ranked opponent by the score 4-3, and second straight.
NEXT MATCH: The Hawkeyes host the Purdue Boilermakers on “Senior Day” on Sunday at noon (CT). Admission is free to the public.
#48 Indiana 4, Iowa 3
April 13, 2018 | 6 p.m. (CT) | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Josh Silverstein (IOWA) def #116 Raheel Manji (IND): 6-7(1), 6-3, 6-4
2. Antonio Cembellin (IND) def. Piotr Smietana (IOWA): 6-4, 6-0
3. Keivon Tabrizi (IND) def. Joe Tyler (IOWA): 6-3, 6-0
4. Kareem Allaf (IOWA) def. Bennett Crane (IND): 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
5. Zac Brodney (IND) def. Will Davies (IOWA) 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-6(4)
6. Andrew Redding (IND) def. Jonas Larsen (IOWA): 6-2, 6-4
1. Larsen/Allaf (IOWA) def. Tebrizi/Crone (IND): 6-2
2. Davies/Smietana (IOWA) def. Menji/Brodney (IND): 6-3
3. Cembellin/Salgado (IND) def. Tyler/Jacoby (IOWA): 6-2
Iowa: 13-13 (2-6)
#48 Indiana: 12-10 (5-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2) Singles (2,3,6,4,1,5)