The Cedar Rapids Community School District says it's Return to Learn plan will be finalized by the end of July.
Last week, the district held sessions to hear opinions and concerns from staff, and this week, it’s doing the same for families and other interested community members
Deputy Superintendent Nicole Kooiker tells KCRG-TV 9 based on the feedback district leaders have already received, The state's second largest school district will be adjusting plans for how high school students go back to school.
Right now the plans calls for high school students to be split into two groups. One group would attend class in person on Monday and Tuesday and learn vitually the other three days of the week. The other group would have face-to-face instruction Wednesday and Thursday and learn virtually the other three days as well.
Kooiker said while most students would learn remotely on Fridays, there may be options for certain students, like those participating in credit recovery, to come to campus on those days.
In addition to face coverings, the district is also considering other safety measures, like having students eat lunch in their classrooms instead of cafeterias.
Kooiker says based on initial survey results they believe most students and staff will opt for face-to-face learning and work this year, as long as their safety and health concerns are addressed.
There are four remaining Family and Community Feedback Sessions scheduled.
July 22 Family and Community Feedback Sessions
- Harding Middle School auditorium (4801 Golf St. NE) — 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Zoom Link:Family and Community Feedback Session #3
- Harding Middle School auditorium — 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Zoom Link:Family and Community Feedback Session #4
July 23 Family and Community Feedback Sessions
- Jefferson High School auditorium (1243 20th St. SW) — 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- French and Swahili interpreters available
- Zoom Link:Family and Community Feedback Session #5
- Jefferson High School auditorium — 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Spanish interpreters available
- Zoom Link:Family and Community Feedback Session #
(Photo: KCRG-TV 9)