DES MOINES, Iowa - Six suspects are charged with attempted murder and six others face various drug and gun related charges from Des Moines Police investigations of shootings and gang activity.
Seventeen-year-old Antonio Alexander and 17-year-old Mannuel Smith were arrested in connection with a shooting Wednesday which did not injure anyone.
The two were than charged with attempted murder related to five previous shootings.
In addition, 10 others have now been arrested for 19 different charges in connection to the five previous shootings and other connected investigations, including four for attempted murder.
While responding to the Wednesday shooting in the 1500 block of 10th Street, officers found multiple shell casings in the area that witnesses said the shots had been fired. No damage was no located and the handgun used in the shooting was not found.
But witnesses described the shooter and a companion. Officers then located a group in the immediate, that included Alexander and Smith. Alexander has been charged with Reckless Use Of A Firearm and Carrying Weapons from the Wednesday episode.
In addition to the attempted murder charges from previous shooting, both Alexander and Smith are charged with Intimidation With A Dangerous Weapon.
Five illegally possessed firearms have been recovered during the course of the investigation of the five previous shootings and one victim has been identified - 18 year-old Braden Shafer, was critically injured on May 10th when he was shot in the head during an exchange of gunfire in the 3000 block of Clark Street.
In addition to Smith and Alexander, ten additional arrests (nine adults, one juvenile) have been made in the previous five shootings, and other connected, ongoing investigations. Those charged as adults are:
- 22 year old Des Moines resident Fabrece Bower Turner - Attempted Murder, Intimidation With A Dangerous Weapon (3 counts), Felon In Possession Of A Firearm, Conspiracy To Commit A Forcible Felony, and Going Armed With Intent
- 17 year old Des Moines resident Shannon Travon Pope – Attempted Murder, Intimidation With A Dangerous Weapon, Carrying Weapons.
- 18 year old Des Moines resident Austin James Mallory – Attempted Murder, Conspiracy To Commit A Forcible Felony.
- 21 year old Des Moines resident Raekwon Malik Patton – Attempted Murder, Intimidation With A Dangerous Weapon, Conspiracy To Commit A Forcible Felony, Going Armed With Intent, Felon In Possession Of A Firearm.
- 24 year old Des Moines resident Tayronce Devon Denton – Possession Of A Controlled Substance.
- 23 year old Urbandale resident Raysean Howard Nelson – Felon In Possession Of A Firearm.
- 19 year old Des Moines resident Joseph Walter Kelly – Possession Of A Controlled Substance.
- 18 year old Ankeny resident Javontay Dequan Johnson – Possession With Intent To Deliver (Ecstasy), Possession With Intent To Deliver (Marijuana), Tax Stamp Violation (2 counts).
- 27 year old Jordan Marie Wilkerson – Intimidation With A Dangerous Weapon (2 counts).