WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA), who has been fighting relentlessly to get Iowans the immediate relief they need in the face of COVID-19, today applauded the president for swiftly signing the Phase 3 relief package into law.
“To my fellow Iowans: help is on the way,” said Senator Ernst, member of the Senate Small Business Committee. “The COVID-19 pandemic has upended the lives of Iowans across our great state, and these unprecedented times require an extraordinary response. In the face of this crisis, Congress and the Trump Administration have come together – in a bipartisan way – stepped up, and provided critical relief to families and workers across the country.
“Iowans are resilient and I’m confident we will get through this, but it will take an-all-hands-on-deck effort, working together at all levels – from the federal government down to each and every Iowan. This too shall pass: stay safe, and stay strong.”
Background on Ernst’s efforts to combat COVID-19:
Senator Ernst has fought to deliver relief to all Iowans during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some of her efforts:
- Delivered major wins for Iowa’s workers, employers, health care industry, and more in the bipartisan Phase 3 package.
- Supported the “Phase 1” bipartisan package to provide additional resources to federal, state and local authorities.
- Helped pass the “Phase 2” bill to provide paid sick leave, free COVID-19 diagnostic testing, and increased support for nutrition for seniors and children.
- Called for an ‘all hands on deck’ approach to tackling the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Urged the Senate to prioritize relief for hospitals, community health centers, and workers on the front lines.
- Announced a proposal to immediately redirect the over $350M in the Presidential Campaign Election Fund to be used to purchase specialized face masks and personal protective equipment.
- Asked the State Department to immediately act to get Iowans stranded abroad back home.
- Called for crackdown and proper education on scammers targeting seniors and at-risk Iowans during COVID-19.
- Held a telephone town hall with thousands of Iowans to help answer some questions and hear directly from folks.
- Hosted another telephone town hall with Iowa’s seniors and elderly community.
- Participated in discussions at the State Emergency Operations Center with Governor Kim Reynolds last weekend.
- Discussed the need to work together – at federal, state, and local level – to tackle COVID-19.
- Published a column on everyone doing their part to protect seniors and fellow Iowans from COVID-19.