City of Cedar Rapids Facilities Close to the Public

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – March 16, 2020 – In an effort to limit public interactions and gatherings, several City of Cedar Rapids facilities will be closed to the general public effective immediately.

This includes:

·City Hall (101 1st St SE)

·City Services Center (500 15th Avenue SW)

·Cedar Rapids Water Administration (1111 Shaver Road NE)

·Central Fire Station (713 1st Ave SE)

·Animal Care and Control (900 76th Ave Dr SW)

·Cedar Rapids Police Station (505 1st St SW)

Emergency services continue. Services to the public are still operational and available either online or via phone or email. Departments are making efforts to ensure minimal disruption to public services during this time. A drop-box will be installed outside the City Services Center front lobby doors for those dropping off permits, payment, or other paperwork that would normally be dropped off in person at the front counter. A drop-box is also available at the front of City Hall.

Utilities divisions housed within the Water Administration building are still operational and services provided — including water customer service, metering, and engineering — will be available online or via phone or email. All public meetings scheduled in the Stephen J. Cook Memorial Conference room at the Water Administration building have been canceled.

Lost or missing animals recovered by Animal Care and Control may be reclaimed by the owner; however, the owner must call ahead first. Animal adoption visits will be available by appointment only. Animal Care and Control will not be accepting the owner surrender of animals through May 15 (with the exception of owner-requested euthanasia). Animal Care and Control can be reached at 319-286-5993.

At the Cedar Rapids Police Station, the front desk will remain accessible; however, citizens are asked to call ahead, as many services can be handled over the phone. Please call 319-286-5491.

Summary of key online resources:

Municipal Utilities

·Pay online at or find a list of payment drop boxes.

·Customer Service: Call 319-286-5900 or email

·Water Engineering: Call 319-286-5950

Public Works Department

•Online Right-of-Way Permits:

Building Services Department

•Building Permits:



•Rental Housing:



Development Services Division

•Online applications for development permits, rezoning, plans, etc.:

•Plans and permit applications submitted electronically:

•Zoning: 319-286-5836 or

•Plan Reviews: 319-286-5780 or

Assessor’s Office

•Property / sale search information:

•Exemption/credit applications:

•Application submitted electronically:

•Questions related to assessment of the property: 319-286-5888

•Property tax questions should be directed to Linn County Treasures Office: 319-892-5500.

Parks and Recreation Department

•Golf (gift cards, punch pass, season pass):

•Recreation (registration or refund inquiries):

o319-285-5566 (7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)


oCancelation information: 319-286-5700

•Dog Park Passes


o286-5566 (option 1)

•Pavilion Rentals:


o286-5566 (option 1)

•General Parks Questions



•Forestry / Trees

oReport a tree concern:

oOnline permit for tree planting in City right-of-way:


Solid Waste & Recycling

•Drop-off window at City Services Center for safe disposal of syringes is currently closed.

•For customer service needs please email solidWaste& or visit

Please visit for the most updated information on City schedule modifications and closures.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content