The University of Iowa women’s golf team heads to Knoxville, Tennessee, to compete in the Mercedes Benz Women’s Collegiate Championship on Sept. 17-18.
- Monday, Sept. 17-- First and Second Round -- 7 a.m. (CT)
- Tuesday, Sept. 18 -- Final Round -- 7:30 a.m. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 16 teams (Golfstat Relative Rankings): Tennessee (43), Kent State (15), Kentucky, Maryland, Illinois (23), Ole Miss (34), Central Florida, Texas-San Antonio, Coastal Carolina, North Carolina-Charlotte, Middle Tennessee State, South Dakota State, Eastern Tennessee State, Eastern Kentucky, Bringham Young (42) and Chattanooga.
The Hawkeye lineup will include senior Kristin Glesne, freshman Dana Lerner, senior Shawn Rennegarbe, freshman Manuela Lizarazu and sophomore Stephanie Herzog.
- Cherokee Country Club was founded in 1907 and is the oldest golf course and country club in Knoxville.
- This course is known for its breathtaking views of The Great Smoky Mountains and the Tennessee River.
LAST YEAR AT THE MERCEDES BENZ INVITATIONAL
- Iowa finished 12th overall with a three-round total of 888 (+36).
- Senior Kristin Glesne posted a career-best 54-hole total of 218 (+5; 76, 71, 71), tying for 29th overall.
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe had a career-best 18-hole score of 72 in the first round.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
- Iowa will compete against five teams ranked in the top-50.
- Fifteenth-ranked Kent State won the Branch Law Firm Invitational on Sept. 10-11, carding a 54-hole score of 858 (-6).
- Seven teams have not competed in a tournament yet this season.
- Texas-San Antonio and South Dakota State have both won tournaments this fall.
YOUNG HAWKEYES MAKE DEBUT
Four underclassmen competed for Iowa at the Branch Law Firm Invitational on Sept. 10-11. Freshmen Dana Lerner (individual) and Manuela Lizarazu made their Hawkeye debuts finishing 63rd and 70th, respectively. Iowa’s lineup also featured sophomores Rachel Fujitani and Stephanie Herzog to complement seniors Kristin Glesne and Shawn Rennegarbe.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Hawkeyes competed at the Branch Law Firm Invitational on Sept. 10-11 finishing 14th with a 54-hole score of 909 (+45).
- Senior Kristin Glesne was the top-performer for Iowa, tying for 33rd overall. She finished with a 54-hole score of 221 (+5).
- Glesne recorded 28 pars on the first day which ranked third in the field.
- Freshman Dana Lerner improved every round and finished the tournament tied for 63rd, carding a final score of 228 (+12).
- Lerner finished the third round utilizing two birdies to finish one-over-par. She also jumped 10 spots on the leaderboard.
- Freshman Manuela Lizarazu finished the tournament on Tuesday with a strong performance. She recorded three birdies along with a one-over-par 73.
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe recorded a career-low roud in the second round, recording a one-under-par 71.
The Haweyes are led by senior captains Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne.
- Rennegarbe carded a career-best finish at the 2018 Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational (March 16-17), tying for 20th with a three-round total 225 (+9).
- Glesne finished the 2018 Hawkeye El-Tigre Challenge (March 16-17) tying for 42nd, carding a 54-hole score of 230 (+14).
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team -- seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne, and sophomore Rachel Fujitani -- were named 2018-19 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
- Rennegarbe competed in all 10 competitions last season including a career-best finish at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational, tying for 20th, with-round total of 225 (+9).
- Fujitani competed in all six tournaments last spring. The Phoenix, Arizona, native carded her first under-par round (71; -1) at the Arizona State Invitational (March 23-25).
- Glesne competed in nine tournaments last season. She tied for 46th at the Big Ten Championships (April 20-22) with a three-round total of 227 (+11).
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers -- Brett Permann, Dana Lerner and Manuela Lizarazu to the 2018-2019 squad. Permann transferred from the University of Central Arkansas; Lerner is from Caesarea, Israel; Lizarazu is from Bogota, Colombia.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team will host the Diane Thomason Invite on Sept. 29-30 at Finkbine Golf Course in Iowa City for the first time since 2015. Iowa will look to defend its 2015 team title.
Fans can follow @iowawomensgolf on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up to date on the latest Hawkeye news.