CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) -- Authorities responded to the 2300 block of Coldstream Avenue NE for a fireworks injury at 6:41 p.m. June 12.
Authorities say a 19-year-old man had a firecracker explode in his hand.
The man had serious injuries to his hand and lost parts of several fingers.
The Fire Department and Police Department want to remind citizens use within City limits of Cedar Rapids is prohibited.
Authorities also say the incident is a reminder of how dangerous fireworks can be.
Last year the Fire Department responded to 13 fire incidents that invovled fireworks. Three of the incidents included building fires, with the worst causing $140,000 in damage.
Hospitals in Cedar Rapids treated 21 patients for injuries and four patients had serious enough injuries they were transported by ambulance in 2017.
Authorities say some parts of Cedar Rapids had soil samples taken on July 5 near a water well by Ellis Park, where fireworks were often detonated.
The areas tested showed elevated levels of percolate, a chemical in fireworks that can cause thyroid problems.
Police officers also want to remind people they are citing individuals who are illegally discharging fireworks. Violations require a court appearance and can be up to $625 in fines.