UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa -- The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped its conference conference opener Thursday to Penn State, 5-2, at the Sarni Tennis Center in University Park, Pennsylvania.
Penn State benefitted from injury defaults from the Hawkeyes at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles.
Junior Adorabol Huckleby and freshman Yufei Long dropped their match at the No. 2 position to Gabby O’Gorman and Samantha Smith, 6-3.
No. 49 sophomore Elise van Heuvelen and senior Anastasia Reimchen improved their doubles win streak to four, by defeating Bennett Dunn and Shannon Hanley, 6-2, at the No. 1 position.
Penn State was awarded the doubles point due to the Hawkeyes defaulting at the No. 3 doubles position. Iowa then defaulted its match at the No. 6 spot giving Penn State a 2-0 lead.
Long got the Hawkeyes on the board by defeating Frederikke Svarre at the No. 1 position in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, to extend her singles record to 12-1.
Crawford lost her match at the No. 5 position to Dunn, 6-2, 6-2. Huckleby then dropped a 6-1, 7-5 match to Smith at the No. 4 position.
Van Heuvelen closed the match by defeating O’Gorma, 6-2, 6-3, which improves her record at the No. 2 position to 6-0.
QUOTE FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“It was a tough loss for our team tonight. We are playing under some adversity right now, and I'm proud of our team. We will regroup and be ready to battle again on Friday and Sunday.”
· Yufei Long improved to 12-1 in singles
· Van Heuvelen and Reimchen extend their doubles record to 4-0 this season
· Huckleby and Long were paired together for the first time this season
The Hawkeyes are back in action hosting No. 37 Michigan on Friday, March 16 at 1 p.m. (CT) and Michigan State on Sunday, March 18 at 10 a.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center. Admission is free.
Iowa 2, Penn State 5
March 14, 2018 | 5 p.m. (CT)| University Park, Pennsylvania | Sarni Tennis Center
1.Yufei Long def. Frederikke Svarre, 6-3, 6-2
2. Elise van Heuvelen def. Gabby O’Gorman, 6-2, 6-3
3. Shannon Hanley def. Anastasia Reimchen, 6-2, 7-5
4. Samantha Smith def. Adorabol Huckleby, 6-1, 7-5
5. Bennett Dunn def. Montana Crawford, 6-2, 6-2
6. Hanna Wikberg def. No Player by default
1.#49 Van Heuvelen/Reimchen def. Dunn/Hanley, 6-2
2. O’Garman/Smith def. Huckleby/Long, 6-3
3. Svarre/Wikberg def. No player/No player by default
Penn State: 6-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (6, 1, 5, 4, 3, 2)
The all-time series is led by Penn State, 27-6.