(Photo courtesy University of Iowa and HawkeyeSports.com)
The University of Iowa soccer team returns home for a pair of Big Ten Conference matches this weekend at the Iowa Soccer Complex. The Hawkeyes host No. 23 Rutgers (9-1-2, 3-1-1) on Thursday at 7 p.m. (CT) before taking on Maryland (7-3-2, 1-3-1) on Sunday at 1 p.m. Admission is free.
• Iowa is tied 2-2 in the all-time series against Rutgers with the first matchup coming in 2003 -- a 2-1 Hawkeye victory. Iowa is 2-1 against Rutgers in Iowa City.
• Iowa and Maryland are tied 1-1 all-time. Both teams have wins on their opponent’s pitch.
SOPHOMORES STEP UP
• Four sophomores – Devin Burns, Kaleigh Haus, Olivia Fiegel, and Natalie Winters – lead the team in goals, assists, and points.
• The quartet has combined for 17 of Iowa’s 21 goals this season. They also own 45 percent of Hawkeye assists in 2017.
• Burns scored her team-leading sixth goal of the season in Iowa’s 2-2 road draw at Michigan on Sept. 29.
• Goalkeeper Claire Graves has competed in 960 minutes of action, collecting 32 saves and three shutouts.
STUENKEL, DRKULEC FIND NET
Senior Karly Stuenkel and sophomore Hannah Drkulec scored their first goals of the season in Iowa’s Oct. 1 loss at Michigan State. The duo was the seventh and eighth different Hawkeyes to score in 2017. It was Stuenkel’s 11th career goal, while it was Drkulec’s first career strike.
The Hawkeyes head to the Hoosier State for a pair of matches, beginning with an Oct. 12 game at Indiana in Bloomington at 6:30 p.m. (CT). Iowa then travels to West Lafayette on Sunday to face Purdue at noon.