BERKELEY, Calif. -- The 17th-ranked University of Iowa field hockey team blanked California, 3-0, Sunday to notch its first win of the season. HOW IT HAPPENED Freshman Madeleine Murphy tallied her second goal in as many games to give Iowa a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute. The Hawkeyes continued their scoring in the 50th minute when sophomore Katie Birch scored off a penalty corner. Sophomore Isabella Solaroli rounded out the scoring for the Hawkeyes, registering her first goal of the season in the 65th minute to secure the 3-0 victory.QUOTING HEAD LISA CELLUCCI“This was a great team win. We stuck to the gameplan, kept our composure and finished our opportunities. I am very proud of the grit we displayed today.”NOTABLES
- Senior goalkeeper Katie Jones recorded a career-high seven saves for her second career shutout and first of the season.
- Junior Makenna Grewe and senior Melissa Progar tallied assists on Birch’s goal. The goal marks the third time the combination has scored off a corner this season.
- The Hawkeyes recorded six shots in the match. Birch led the way for the Iowa with two.
- The Hawkeyes are 1-3 on the season with a 1-1 record on their current road trip.
- The Golden Bears fall to 1-3 on the season.