Holiday weekend fire displaces 2 in Cedar Rapids

A house fire in Cedar Rapids displaced two people Friday evening.

Flames started shortly before 5:45 p.m. inside a home at 888 Center Point Road NE, authorities said in a news release. The two inside the two-story property had alerted authorities that fire detectors were sounding and smoke could be seen inside the single-family home.

"All occupants exited the house and called 911," Battalion Chief Jason Andrews said in the release. "Upon arrival, CRFD found a 2 story residential structure with smoke showing from the 2nd floor."

Andrews said fire teams located flames on the second floor of the property which also occupied the attic space. He said firefighters spent under 20 minutes getting the flames under control, keeping it from spreading to another floor.

Several cats were rescued from the home and returned to the property's occupants.

"Working smoke detectors and the quick actions of the occupants in immediately evacuating and calling 911 certainly ensured their safety," said Andrews. "[It] allowed for a timely response of the fire department."

Firefighters said the fire left significant flame and smoke damage on the second floor. Water left moderate damage to the remainder of the house.

Though a specific cause of the fire wasn't immediately available, firefighters believed it to be unintentional.

No one was hurt.

The American Red Cross will be helping the two displaced residents.

title

Content Goes Here