Dryer Lint Fire in Dubuque

posted by WMT News / KCRG-TV9 -

DUBUQE COUNTY, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) -- Thanks to a newly installed smoke detector, a family is safe after their mobile home caught fire.

This mobile home caught fire on Thursday, May 17, 2018. A newly installed smoke detector woke up the family and everyone got out safe. (Allison Wong, KCRG-TV9)

The Dubuque Fire Department responded to 1289 Prairie Du Chien Dr. in Key West at about 2:20 am on Thursday morning.

Firefighters discovered the fire started beneath the home and was caused by lint igniting in the dryer exhaust duct.

The homeowner woke up and was able to evacuate his family thanks to their smoke detector that was recently installed by the Red Cross Northeast Iowa chapter.

Executive Director Nicole Breitbach says she's happy everyone is alright.

"You're just so grateful that the family is okay and then it's just shock too that it was just two and a half weeks ago that we were out there. It just shows our volunteers are making a huge difference," Breitbach said.

She said the Red Cross is helping the family financially.

Breitbach wants to remind people they can get a free smoke detector and installation year round through the Red Cross by  visiting this website.

Comments

title

Content Goes Here

This ad will close in X seconds.