Officials: Marion Fire Possible Started in Chimney

MARION, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) - A Marion family will have to find another place to sleep after a house fire, Saturday afternoon.

(Courtesy: Linn County Area Fire Photography)

Fire crews were paged to 2435 21st Avenue around 3:10 p.m. When they arrived, the home had smoke and flames showing from the roof.

The family of the victims said firefighters were able to get the three inside the home out safely. Crews contained the flames within about 15 to 20 minutes.

The fire marshal on scene said the occupants had been using a fireplace when the flames began. He said the prevailing thought was that this was a chimney fire, but authorities wouldn’t know for sure until the investigation concluded.

Flames damaged the roof and attic. Water and smoke damaged the first floor.

Firefighters contacted the Red Cross to help find a temporary place for the family to stay. The occupants told TV9 they were uncertain when they'd be able to return to the home.

The family has started a gofundme account. You can find a link here.

title

Content Goes Here