Board of Regents Propose 3.8% Tuition Increase at U of I

IOWA CITY, Iowa (KCRG-TV9)-- Students at the University of Iowa and Iowa State University are going to be feeling the brunt of mid-year budget cuts.

On Tuesday, the Board of Regents released a proposal with UI students facing a 3.8 percent increase.

This comes in response to Governor Reynolds signing a bill that cuts nearly 11 million dollars from the UI and ISU.

At the Iowa Memorial Union, students are already spreading the word about a potential tuition increase.

"Actually a student approached me one day and told me he was organizing a group for students who do not support the tuition hike rates,” Alicia Ramirez said.

Many students were unaware of the possible increase, and that it would impact both in state and out of state tuition. The proposal now would raise tuition by about 300 dollars. Students say that number might not sound like a lot, but it can add up. Especially if increases take place each year.

"More loans and that's already stressful enough the way it is,” Alicia Ramirez said.

Universities often raise tuition to offset state funding.

Looking at state data, the cost per pupil at is about the same as it was in 2000. Then it was 10,910 and now it's 10,904.

And according to data from UI, in 2000 state funding covered about 70 percent of university's general education fund, the remaining 30 percent came from students' tuition. This year, those numbers are flipped.

With a looming 3.8 percent increase, tuition rates could keep becoming a larger portion of the university's budget. Some students say it's worth it, and it's the cost for a quality education.

β€œOn one hand, I'm pretty sure no one enjoys paying extra money to the university, but on the other it does help the university by giving them some more income,” Christopher Borro said.

If approved, the tuition changes would go into effect this fall.

The Board of Regents will consider the first of two required readings next week, for the proposed tuition increases. Final approval wouldn't happen until June.

title

Content Goes Here