The Superintendent of Des Moines Public Schools, Dr Thomas Ahart (above), has still remained silent on #Douchegate - the scandal involving some of his own teachers forwarding an email which called for the harassment of elected officials including prank calling them, and used vulgar, sexist, misogynist language in a clear example of cyber bullying.
Yesterday on my show Jeff Kaufmann, the Chairman of the Republican Party of Iowa, laid out a series of questions (below) that they think Ahart must answer. You can listen to that audio immediately below this.
Should the Superintendent be brought before the House Oversight Committee to face these and other questions?
Take part in today's Poll...
Our Polls are not scientific and are for entertainment only
Here are some of the questions that need answering:
- Code 303 under Administration-ExecutiveFunction-Policies charges the Superintendent of Schools with “the observance of its policies by all those persons employed by the district”, and Code305 under Administration-Executive Function-Procedures states that “The superintendent shall be responsible for keeping or having kept, and for presenting to the Board of Directors in a form that will facilitate and make efficient theirdeliberations and proceedings, records of problems, conditions, and duties requiring action by them.” Will the Superintendent be reporting the problems posed by this email to the Board of Directors?
- Code 416 under Personnel-Policiesallows the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee to discipline an employee. Will the superintendent be taking charge of disciplining employees as it relates to this matter, or will he be appointing a designee?
- Code 444 under Personnel-Policiesspecifically dictates that “School property, school time, or other school resources shall not be used by employees for political activities” which include, but are not limited to, “the posting of current political circulars or petitions, the distributionof current political circulars or petitions” or “any activity in any manner which would indicate that a school employee is using a position in the school to further personal views on candidates for public office, or to advocate a personal position on questionsof public policy in the political arena.” Code 444 goes further to state “Engagement in any such political activities upon property under the jurisdiction of the board or during activities sponsored by the school district is specifically prohibited.Violations of any of the foregoing shall, at the discretion of the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee, constitute cause for reprimand, demotion, suspension, or dismissal.” Does the Superintendent or his designee agree that these emails,sent during the school day on school email addresses, are a clear violation of the provision of Code 444 of the DMPS Policies and Procedures?
- Code 445 under Personnel-Policiescovers the acceptable use of the Internet and network technology by employees, and states that “the use of computers, the District’s computer network, the internet, and other on-line services shall be consistent with the governmental, education, and businessobjectives of the District.” Does the Superintendent or his designee believe the use of the computer, the District’s computer network, and the internet to forward sexist and thuggish emails to be consistent with the governmental, educational and businessobjectives of the District?
- Code 445 under Personnel-Policiesfurther states that “To ensure all district employees understand the appropriate use of District computers, the District network, the Internet, and other on-line services, the District shall establish guidelines and monitor acceptable use. It is the responsibilityof the superintendent or designee to develop administrative procedures to implement this policy by establishing standards of acceptable use by employees and publishing and disseminating this information to all employees.” Will the Superintendent walkus through the administrative procedures to enacted implement Code 445, and will he release the standards of acceptable use that were published and disseminated to its in accordance with Code 445?
I am a very proud Citizen of the United States. That took place in early 2008 after a seven year legal journey. As you can imagine, I have some views on immigration which you will find in these pages from time to time.
I was born in London, England and have been American in my attitudes for as long as I can remember. The Constitution should be regarded as a sacred document. Unfortunately as each year passes it seems to be less important. We have a President who told the American People BEFORE he was elected that the Constitution was a "flawed document". That would have been electoral suicide just a few short years ago. I remember when we were trying to help Iraq write it's constitution I said on the radio "we should give them ours! After all, we stopped using it years ago".
I started work as a journalist in 1976 when at the tender age of 16 I got a job on the Jerusalem Post. Recently I have been guest hosting talk radio around the country. Prior to that, you could have heard The Simon Conway Radio Experience.
I am a radio talk show host whose conservative outlook was forged in my native UK, where I experienced the considerable downsides of European-style socialism. I have a unique insight into health care and all the other trappings of a socialist society because I've already lived through where we are headed.